And when I say "learned"...I mean it. Each of these inhaled drugs come with a list of directions. Some are administered cold, some are given twice or even three times a day, some may have a specific nebulizer to use, and then there is one that has to be mixed with a syringe.....
This is when I started to think that Colistin is intense..... (maybe a little overwhelming is the way to put it)
To mix your daily dose of colistin:
1. Remove the lid from the colistin vial.
2. Remove the lids from the sterile water and saline vials.
3. Swab the rubber top of all vials with an alcohol swab before inserting the syringe.
4. Draw up 2mL of sterile water for injection into a syringe (always use a new syringe with each treatment preparation).
5. Inject 2mL of sterile water into the colistin vial, while gently rotating and swirling the bottle (to prevent foaming) until all the white powder has dissolved. DO NOT shake vigorously.
6. Withdraw 1mL (75mg) of the colistin and place it into the nebulizer.
7. Draw up 2mL of normal saline and add into the nebulizer.
8. Place the remaining mixed colistin (1mL) into the refrigerator for future use.
9. Discard unused portion after 24 hrs.
Then, Madeline will take it by nebulizer for 20 plus minutes (added to her already existing 40 minutes of VEST physical therapy and other nebs.) Maybe this is the miracle drug for her....
For one thing I will be learning a lot.....
And we will be getting another vial of Coliston for the Cystic Fibrosis Services pharmacy after seeing
One glass vial of Colistin broke on the UPS truck.
Day 1 of Colistin is coming. I will learn as many inhaled medications as I can and go through intense Colistin just to help my little girl get better....
We have hope. Lots of hope.